Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Variety of Wal-Mart and the Quality of Saks

Today I spent almost the entire day in Harrods department store. Harrods makes every department store I've ever been to look like Ross Dress for Less. Everything was beautiful. The sales people were friendly and helpful, even though it was clear I wasn't actually going to purchase any Dolce and Gabbana dresses or Cartier jewelry.

The world's biggest department store takes up an entire city block and is seven stories, and it's big for a reason. It boasts multiple gift shop areas, designer clothing, bags, and shoes, makeup, jewelry, hats, electronics, stationary, sports equipment, toys, restaurants, food halls, a florist, a pet shop with live animals, furniture, fine china, cigars, and so much more. Did you know that Hermes makes furniture? Why do they do that? Oh, because Harrods is awesome. There is even a Harrods bank and a Harrods real estate office. If you wanted to buy a car or, say... an elephant, from Harrods, they'd probably figure it out for you. I'll put it this way: any department store that hands out guides to help customers navigate the store is probably pretty awesome.



Ah yes... every escalator area definitely requires a mural on the ceiling



PETA would have a lot of fake blood to throw in this room



Oscar de la Renta is one of the best designers EVER



Hats!



A classic Chanel suit



Of course it's necessary to have a Veuve Clicquot bar inside the store



The Food Halls are yummy... I had a lamb pasty for lunch (a savory pasty like the one I had is like a mix between a pot pie and a cal zone)



The Harrods Toy Kingdom



I will come back to Harrods one day... one day when I have enough money to buy things there, besides food and small gifts. But even if and when that times comes, I hope that I always view trips to places like Harrods as special. What I mean is, I hope that I one day have enough to be comfortable, but not to be extravagant, and that I always appreciate what I have, and that I spend it on things that matter, like on my children and on others, and only sometimes at places like this. I hope that I always recognize that places like Harrods are a little bit ridiculous.

As I was leaving Harrods, I watched as a family climbed into their driver-driven, custom-made Land Rover, the doors opened for them by a Harrods doorman. I smiled as I walked into the tube station, more excited about my time in London than about any of the stuff I left behind in the store. The things inside Harrods are beautiful, but so much--adventures, and being here, and discovering how to be on my own in this big place--is so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment