Friday, July 16, 2010

British Museum, Tea, Nightlife

As I mentioned, Wednesday was a fun-filled day. I hadn't been able to do anything too exciting on Monday and Tuesday because of getting ready for my midterm on Wednesday, so I packed extra excitement into one day once the test was over.

First, I went to the British Museum. Since I live just two blocks from the Museum and it's a giant place that's almost impossible to explore in one afternoon, this was my second visit. The Museum is basically an archive of all the stuff the British have stolen from other countries during wars and other adventures, so it's organized by continent. I spent the most time in the Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt, North America and Europe sections.

The back entrance of the Museum



The ceiling of the main, center part of the Museum



THE ROSETTA STONE



A library full of British relics



A horse sculpture from Greece and me



When I'd seen the rest of the Museum, I went back to my dorm to get ready for high tea with a couple of girls from my class. I was excited about tea for several reasons. 1) I finally had an excuse to wear the nice dress, shoes, and trench that I'd brought. 2) I hadn't been to high tea since I was a little girl and my mom took me in Washington, D.C. 3) The British invented high tea, and therefore they do it right.

The restaurant that we went to for tea is one of London's most famous, The Wolsely. For traditional our 'Afternoon Tea', they served five types of tea sandwiches, scones with coddled cream (an incredible condiment that tastes like a combination of whipped cream and butter), and seven awesome little desserts. The desserts included a cheesecake, a passion fruit macaroon, a raspberry tart, and a chocolate cake, among others. Oh, and they give you tea too. I had Earl Grey, a delicious British tea. It was 20 pounds for the whole thing, but the atmosphere, the amazing food, and the view into British high society, was well-worth it. In fact, I'd say it was the best 20 pounds I've spent in London so far. Take a look: http://www.thewolseley.com/.



After tea, I set off the for the London Eye with two friends. The London Eye is a big ferris wheel located on the shore of the River Thames so as to view the skyline of London from the best possible spot (Big Ben, Embassy row, the Tower of London, and St. Paul's Cathedral are all right on the River). We walked along the riverfront before boarding the Eye.

A skate park on the riverfront



A carousel on the riverfront



The London Eye!



The view from the Eye



A little higher



And finally, I went out to a nearby neighborhood pub with some fellow LSE students...

1 comment: