Monday, July 12, 2010

Double Decker Buses

This weekend, nine friends from my program and I participated in the ultimate tourist activity in London: a double decker bus tour. The Big Bus Tour cost 26 pounds, but it was well worth the expense. The tour took us all over the city to all the major tourist sites, from Big Ben and the Parliament building to the Tower of London, providing interesting commentary all the way. Patrons can get off the bus at any of 31 stops to explore further, and simply get back on the bus whenever they're ready. The tour also includes a boat tour on the River Thames, with excellent views of the Eye of London, Big Ben, the Tate Modern, the American Embassy, and other such big deal buildings and sites. Here are some pictures of our adventure...

St. Paul's Cathedral, which I went on a run to from my dorm the following day... how exciting to run to such an incredible place as if it were no big deal? I plan to go back so that I can see the inside



Interesting Swedish office building... I love the design



The Tower Bridge and our super cool tour guide



The Tower Bridge, with my friend and I in the forefront



The Tower of London... I was especially excited to see this after watching "The Tudors" and I plan to go back here too to see the Crown Jewels and the place where Anne Boleyn and others were executed



Friends and I outside the Tower of London... smiles near a not-so-smiley place



On the boat tour



The American Embassy



The Eye of London, a ferris wheel with large cabins that give its riders a great view of the city



The Parliament building and Big Ben... "Ben" is actually the bell inside the tower, not the tower itself



M6 Offices, the British Secret Service office that deals with foreign affairs issues



The Westminster Abbey



Buckingham Palace







The Buckingham Palace stable... the carriages that transport the Queen and her crown, as well as the one that transported Princess Diana on her wedding day, are kept here... I plan to go back to go inside soon



Her Majesty's Theatre, where shows are held with the Queen in mind... if a King should come to power, they will change the name to "His Majesty's Theatre"



Look for more pictures of these places soon!

1 comment: