Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sarah's New English Dictionary

Many American students spend hours in language classes, from Spanish to French to Japanese and beyond, to prepare to study abroad in a foreign country. They diligently practice their ability to read, write, and speak in these other languages, memorizing vocabulary and learning conjugation structures. Once abroad, they improve their skills even further, often becoming close to fluent by the end of their trips.

I have never been one for learning new languages. It's not that I'm averse to new and different cultures, it's just that I, for lack of a better term, suck at learning language. In Hebrew school, I dreaded Hebrew letter flashcard time. Later, in high school, I took Spanish, but only because my adviser told me I had to, and because my class got to mentor in a bilingual program at an elementary school during senior year. It makes sense, then, that I chose an abroad program that didn't require me to stray from my native and beloved English.

Yet I feel I have been deceived. The British may speak English, but Americans and British experience communication failure nonetheless. These failures occur most often in grocery stores and when attempting to locate restrooms, trash cans, and other basic necessities. To alleviate such problems for future travelers, I have compiled a list of words and phrases that those native to these parts seem to be confused about...

1. American word/phrase = British word/phrase
2. To add minutes/money to (phone/other technological device) = To top up
3. Bathroom = toilets ('loo' is a slang expression... never written on an actual bathroom door)
4. Subway = tube or underground
5. Goodbye/thanks = Cheers
6. Darling = love (As in, 'Cheers, love')
7. Friend/bro = mate
8. Eggplant = aubergine
9. Fries = chips and chips = crisps
10. Pudding = dessert of any variety
11. Watch out/beware = mind (As in, 'Mind the step')
12. Mens' barber = Gents Hairdresser

Trust me, there's more. I'll be adding to this list as the days go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment